Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I may need to go to rehab...to get me off of the strawberry-rhubarb jelly.

Seriously. This stuff is like candy, and I'm sure it just invites addiction.

I'll set the stage: we were moderately lost in Portsmouth, NH when we see no less than one zillion pumpkins arranged all over the lawn of a church. I thought that it would take divine intervention to even get such a quantity of pumpkin on a lawn, so we stopped to ask exactly what was going on.

We met a young lady named Ruth, who explained that the First United Methodist church holds an annual fundraiser this time of year. They have something of a pumpkin festival, and they also sell jams and jellies. This brings me to the title of this post. The strawberry-rhubarb jelly is unstoppable. We've already finished the jar we bought. Granted, we are eating more than normal, and the peanut butter/jelly sandwich is the best way to ingest maximum amounts of calories. But, a jar of that second-rate Smucker's lasts us at least 3 days. I'm no mathematician, but I believe that means that the strawberry-rhubarb jelly from the First United Methodist in Porstmouth, NH is at least 300% better than the leading competitor.

Beyond the delicious jellies and jams, the folks at First United were marvelous. We chatted for a bit, and they really sent us off in a great mood for riding. When you're pedaling up hill after steep hill in rainy and cold weather, it is easy to become a generally unpleasant person to be around. Thank you, First United parishioners for keeping our spirits high!

No comments: